The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Adulting 101 Classes Continue To Prepare Seniors For Adulthood

Lucy Mantilla
Principal Joey McQueen ties a tie on a senior student Nov. 8.

Adulting 101 classes have returned. The classes take place during academic period and go over various lessons students will need to know to be a successful adult. Some of the classes include time management, how to apply for a job and how to properly take notes. 

The next and final Adulting 101 will be over time management and will be held in the library Nov. 15 during academic. English I teacher Bob Davis will teach it. Seniors can go to the library page on the school site to find the google form to sign up to attend the class. 

“Our teachers don’t have time in class to teach these life lessons because they must cover all of the TEKS required by the state,” head librarian and Adulting 101 sponsor Shelly Myers said. “And schools can no longer afford to offer classes that cover these basic life skills.  So at LHS, we offer what we can, when we can.” 

Students also receive snacks and sometimes even a Crock Pot meal when they attend Adulting 101 classes. 

“If I can get students there with the promise of food, then I have them there to hear the wisdom our staff have volunteered to share with them,” Myers said. “I know they come for the food, but then they have to stay and if something sinks in, it’s well worth it to me.” 

The turnout at the Adulting 101 has been at least double than in past years where it was offered. 

“I know I was fortunate to have parents that could teach me some adulting skills, such as laundry and cooking,” Myers said. “But I could have used some lessons about time management, financial aid, filing taxes and college survival skills.” 

Last year,  many staff members volunteered to teach a class there weren’t enough dates for all of them. 

“The idea for adulting 101 comes from students, parents, teachers, librarians — from everyone who’s ever said, ‘Why didn’t we learn that in school?’,” Myers said. “We’re so lucky to have a staff that is so willing to help our students be successful in academics as well as ‘adulting.’”

Students also have input in what classes are offered. Senior English teachers encourage students to complete a survey in August detailing what kinds of skills they would like to learn. 

“I thought that I had some information that might be helpful for students and thought I would share it,” time management session teacher James Barnette said.  “And what made me think that is that I used to be a college scholarship counselor so I learned a lot of stuff I wish I had known in college and didn’t know.”

Teachers present a presentation and usually have a follow up activity to apply what students have learned. 

“I did not anticipate the time restriction,” Barnette said. “Most students didn’t get to finish the activity I planned, which is a shame because I thought the activity was the most important part, but I was happy with my presentation.” 

Some teachers also offered extra credit if students attended Adulting 101.

“I think my session was well attended, and I know most people were there for extra credit which is fine,” Barnette said. “I think it’s good that Mrs. Myers sponsors because the way she set it up lets teachers share on a different level, especially with snacks and being able to have a different atmosphere.” 

Students who attended stayed all of academic period for the event. 

“I genuinely believe that it provided a fundamental outline with the skills I need to be prepared for life and adulthood,” senior Myka Escaran said.