HOSA Hosts Blood Drive

Senior+Kalyn+Mulcahy+donates+blood+this+morning.+
Sumiko Lemari
Senior Kalyn Mulcahy donates blood this morning.

HOSA hosted a blood drive for students 16 years and older and staff today.

“It is important to donate because you are saving a life,” HOSA sponsor Brook O’Connor said. “We partner with Carter Blood Drive and all the blood that we collect stays local to our area.”

Anyone over the age of 17 can donate freely. Students who are 16 have to get a guardian to sign a waiver form. Students can also donate in someone’s name to help a student who can’t donate for medical reasons earn a red cord. 

“We have 2-3 [blood drives] a year so students can earn a red cord at graduation for donating or volunteering twice their senior year,” HOSA president Luke Rogers said. “Blood is always needed by hospitals and blood banks around the country.”

The drive is by appointment only, but teachers get to go first. Students could book a time slot from 9 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. through the QR codes on the posters around the school. Volunteers delivered passes to students for permission to go to the gym to donate.

“Be early to your appointment,” senior Cara Mitchell said. “You have to sign in and stuff, so be at least 5 minutes early.”

Alongside the Carter Blood Drive organization, HOSA seniors and juniors helped monitor everyone after they have given blood as well as check people in and out.

“I enjoy working the blood drive as it’s a good learning opportunity to get more involved in the healthcare field and understand the blood donation process,” Rogers said.

Students should eat and drink water before getting blood drawn, especially if queasy around needles, to prevent passing out. This helps keep fluid in the veins, making it easier to draw blood.

“I forgot to eat one time and almost couldn’t donate,” Mitchell said. “They have to take your vitals and if they don’t all meet the requirements then they have to turn you away. I was on the cusp of being able to donate but they were very hesitant to.”

Blood banks and hospitals always need blood. 

“I think it’s very important to donate blood because of the amount of emergencies that happen everyday,” Mitchell said. “My dad is a firefighter EMT and he donates blood whenever he can because he sees how often it is needed.”