HOSA, Carter BloodCare Host Blood Drive

Camille Rivera

Senior Cooper Binder donates blood at the fall 2022 blood drive. HOSA and Carter BloodCare hosted a second blood drive at the high school Feb. 8.

Veronica Butler, Online Editor

Carter BloodCare and HOSA hosted a blood drive Feb. 8 in the practice gym.

There was a competition between the juniors and seniors for who could donate the most blood that the seniors won. Their reward was an off-campus lunch today.

“The overall purpose of donating is to save lives,” HOSA adviser Christie Ford said.

The school donated 170 units of blood, which Ford predicts can help 510 patients in need.

“Currently, blood donations are at historically low levels,” Ford said. “We are in the worst blood supply shortage in 30 years and U.S. blood centers are struggling to meet the daily needs of patients needing blood transfusions.”

Ford says it is crucial to educate young adults about the benefits of donating blood.

“I chose to donate because I wanted to help the community and I heard that many people can donate, but hardly any do, so I wanted to help,” junior Allison Valdez said. 

The school recently switched to working with Carter BloodCare, instead of the American Red Cross who they used to donate with, because Carter keeps the blood local.

I chose to donate because I wanted to help the community and I heard that many people can donate, but hardly any do, so I wanted to help.

— junior Allison Valdez

“We are potentially helping save patients in our own community and surrounding communities,” Ford said.

Junior Cara Mitchell said she donated to help her friend earn her red cord for graduation. Students can earn a red cord by giving blood twice during senior year.

“I chose to donate to help my friend earn her graduation cord and because I thought it would be good to have this experience for adult life,” Mitchell said.

Phlebotomists from Carter BloodCare did the actual blood drawing, but HOSA members helped with every other step in the process: getting donors out of class, signing donors in, encouraging them during the process, helping them get something to eat and drink after donating, signing them out and making sure they get to class without incident.

“Organizing a blood drive helps HOSA members to enhance their social, emotional and organizational skills, and instills lifelong behaviors that ensure future generations have available blood resources,” Ford said.

HOSA member Reagan McDonald volunteered at the recovery station where she made sure the donors were eating and drinking something after their donation and to make sure they stayed the proper amount of time before leaving to go back to class.

“During this, I got to learn the guidelines of who can help to donate and really get to see how they go about drawing blood,” McDonald said.

McDonald said she felt like it was beneficial to learn the processes and to be aware of how important it is to give blood because of the blood shortage.

“I hope that by volunteering for the blood drive that HOSA members are able to see that community involvement/volunteering is making a difference in the lives of others,” Ford said. “They are also becoming community advocates.”

There will be another blood drive in the fall semester where students can have another chance to donate.

“I think it is important to donate if you can,” Mitchell said. “My experience wasn’t bad and I have no health reasons preventing me from donating, so I would donate again.”