New Club Empowers Students To Express Themselves

Lydia Breuer

Behavior Interventionist Queszarrah Olson hosts the first Empower meeting Wednesday.

Lydia Breuer, Editor-In-Chief

Behavior intervention teacher Queszarrah Olson is the sponsor of a new school club that aims to create a safe space for students who need someone to talk to. Empower’s first meeting was Wednesday and the final meeting of the year is next Wednesday in the Maker Space. It will resume in the fall.

“I felt like there was a need in Lampasas for students to feel safe no matter what their sexuality and gender,” Olson said. “I’m just conceiving it as a safe space for them to meet and kind of talk about issues that are important to them. It gives them a place to get anything off their chest and gives them a connection so that if they need help, they know they have a point-person to talk to versus wandering around and feeling upset with themselves or others.”

Olson created the club because she noticed students feeling upset at school.

“I know I’m just the behavior teacher, but then I see kids crying in the hallway or in the bathrooms and kind of some of their issues have stemmed from ‘I’m male, I’m female, I want to be male, I want to be female’ and just kind of needing someone to talk that out with them,” Olson said.

Olson wishes for the club to become an outreach for struggling LGBTQ+ members and  to help others understand the community.

“We need people to really understand where they are coming from,” Olson said. “That they are here, they aren’t going anywhere and you can’t ignore them.”

The first meeting consisted of taking suggestions from the students on activities they wanted to see in the club. From music and movie recommendations to serious topics they would like to discuss, every participant had a chance to share their ideas.

This club is creating an environment to help others who are still in their journey of self-acceptance.

— senior Elizabeth Casper

“Hopefully, we’re able to grow into a really strong good community so we have each other’s backs,” sophomore Rae Shannon said. “Just in times of crisis like, ‘Oh I don’t know who we are yet but I think we’re this way I think we’re that way.’ That way they have a strong support system and community behind them.” 

In 2021, art teacher Judith Brown attempted to create a club similar to Empower, but the idea never came to fruition.

“Lampasas High School has never had something like this,” Shannon said. “I wanted to make sure that everyone in the community is included with a club. There hasn’t really ever been one because of how much conflict it causes.”

Even though senior Eliza Casper will not be able to attend the club for long, they are glad the school now has a place where those struggling with their identities can confide.

“This club can genuinely be the difference for a student who is questioning who they are,” Casper said. “When I came to terms with who I am, I didn’t have anyone to confide in. This club is creating an environment to help others who are still in their journey of self-acceptance.”