Labor Shortage Affects Local Businesses, Student Employees

A+Now+Hiring+signs+hangs+on+the+door+of+Youngs+BBQ+due+to+a+labor+shortage.+

Lydia Breuer, Editor-In-Chief

A “Now Hiring” signs hangs on the door of Young’s BBQ due to a labor shortage.

Lydia Breuer, Editor-In-Chief

A labor shortage has affected many businesses and companies across the United States. There are approximately 10.4 million jobs available but only about 8.4 million people looking to work, thus causing the shortage.

“We have had a terrible time trying to find people to work,” owner of Young’s BBQ Lisa Young said. “It breaks my heart because all small business people are struggling and so many people lost their business due to COVID. So, so sad. I pray our business holds up. I have many sleepless nights thinking about it.”

The labor shortage and supply chain disruptions go hand in hand, causing shortages of products that businesses need to function.

Not only do I have to worry about grades, I have to worry about working longer hours simply because there is no one to work.

— senior Savannah Caudle

“In the last six months we are paying double for almost every product we buy,” Young said. “We have to go to Sam’s Club in Austin because we can’t always get what we need from our delivery trucks.” 

This shortage doesn’t only affect the people who own the businesses, but the people who have jobs and end up working more to cover the shifts that are not filled.

“The labor shortage is extremely frustrating while being a high school student,” senior Savannah Caudle said. “Not only do I have to worry about grades, I have to worry about working longer hours simply because there is no one to work.”

Caudle said working full time, or close to full time, as a high school student can be difficult and taxing.

“Having to maintain the work, learn and play lifestyle is extremely difficult because both school and work consume my free time to decompress,” Caudle said. “Without balance, it leads to mental health issues that cause individuals to lose their drive in what they’re passionate about.”

Senior Daniel Rounds works at a pharmacy and has also experienced a shortage of workers in his field.

“There is a national shortage in pharmacy technicians so we’re understaffed, causing us to only have one full-time and me part-time,” Rounds said. “It’s pretty hard to become a technician and it can also cost a lot, and with how much stress it causes, I just don’t think the majority of people are up to it at the moment.” 

To help with this shortage in his field, Rounds believes that more schools should offer more technician classes.

“There should be more awareness in health programs at schools that pharmacy technician jobs exist,” Rounds said.