Game Club Continues With New Sponsor

Joshua Truong
Sophomore Ethan Brown plays Dungeons and Dragons at Game Club Oct 4.

Game Club welcomed world geography teacher Colton Hinds as its new sponsor at the start of the school year. Game Club, which meets on Wednesdays in the library after school, hosts a variety of games from Dungeons and Dragons and standard card games to self-brought video games.

“I hope the students can create a welcoming environment for each other,” Hinds said. “I want these kids to have a place where they can express themselves and enjoy the hobbies that bring them together.”

The club’s previous sponsor, geometry teacher Patricia Bird, was unable to continue sponsoring the meetings due to becoming a bus monitor. Hinds offered to take the position in her place to keep the club active.

“I didn’t have this experience growing up,” Hinds said. “The other staff members were busy and I didn’t want students to not have this opportunity anymore because no one would take over and supervise them.”

Game Club was created as a way for students to get together and play their favorite board and card games. The only condition to participate is for students to be passing all of their classes. Students can socialize, learn and play games for up to two hours during club meetings.

“I really love Game Club because of how freeing it is,” freshman Jackson Barrett said. “It’s very fun and I get to play games with other people who have the same interests.”

Participants recommend the experience for anyone with an interest in board, card and video games. They said the relaxed environment and fun, active atmosphere create a place for students to express themselves.

“I’m not in Game Club myself, but I like the idea of it,” sophomore Weldon Nesbitt said. “My friend is in Game Club and he enjoys it. I just think it’s nice to have a place for people who like Dungeons and Dragons, or anything like that, to hang out.”

Game Club has been open to all students since its creation in 2019. Club members and its sponsor continue to invite students to join and have fun, and welcome new members with opportunities to enjoy themselves and meet new people.

“This year’s outlook is a lot better than last year’s,” Hinds said. “[Game Club] is very energetic and welcoming. If it piques someone’s interest, I’m more than happy to let them join us.”