Come Hang Out! That’s What Game Club Is All About!

Joseph Neuenschwander

Junior Thomas Cox plays Dungeons and Dragons at game club in the library Nov. 3

John Hurt, Guest Writer

Have you ever been bored after school and don’t have anything else to do? Game club is a place to hang out with friends, socialize or just take a nap in a safe place. 

Game club is hosted after school every Thursday in the library for about two hours. As long as students are passing all classes, they can join the fun.

“I really enjoy having a club where students can gather knowing they will not be ridiculed or judged for having fun and being themselves,” math teacher Patricia Bird said. “I enjoy listening to the role-playing conversations from the groups that play Dungeons and Dragons. Game club is a chill place to hang out.”

Game club students often bring Dungeons and Dragons and Magic the Gathering. 

In Dungeons and Dragons students create their character and role-play in a medieval fantasy world and go through stories created from scratch.

Game club is a fun, relaxing, yet competitive environment where everyone plays to have fun,” Bird said. “My personal interest in game club is playing Magic the Gathering. I am hoping more students express an interest in learning to play so we can compete in tournaments at some point.”

Magic the Gathering is a card game in which wizards cast spells, summon creatures and exploit magic objects to defeat their opponents. The game is all about strategy and planning.

“In my opinion, I like the club,” senior Terrance Farris said. “You get to meet new people, socialize with your friends and play new games.” 

Game club provides an open environment for anyone. Students who attend are friendly and nice to each other and any new comers.

“If students aren’t interested in games provided, then they can play on their own console, bring a game that is allowed by Mrs. Bird or just sit on their phone and chill,” Farris said.