Wrestling Team To Host Home Match Today

Elma Garnett
Senior Sean Miller wrestles an opponent in Georgetown Jan. 10.

The wrestling team will compete in the gym today at 5 p.m.

Entering the second semester, the wrestling team continues to display promising results and have their eyes set on state.  The most recent competition was Jan. 10.

“I expect these athletes to give it their all,” head wrestling coach Donovan Kleckner said. “A lot of people have completed their goals for the year and every single member of the team has congratulated them for it. We’re considered a 5A school for wrestling and get paired against schools with much higher enrollments, but we’re still on track for state.”

Having now been to several competitions since the start of the season, the wrestling team has gotten an idea for the performance it is capable of and what training is needed in the future. Notable athletes from the boys’ and girls’ teams are junior Daemian Rivas, currently 10-2, junior Charlie Freese at 21-5 and senior Taylor Martell at 29-1.

“The team works pretty well together,” junior Joey Roberts said. “We help each other improve and cheer each other on. It’s a very respectful environment where everyone has each other’s backs.”

Part of the team’s performance has been credited to its comradery and attitude toward improvement. With an environment that cultivates interpersonal relationships and strives for success, the team has no doubt that it will continue to outperform last year’s.

“It takes a while to learn things and get into it, but eventually you’ll be fine,” junior Tucker Jarboe said. “We have a few strong contenders that I think will go pretty far in state.”

With the team’s welcoming environment and the help and feedback team members can provide, new members are both encouraged and supported. While the sport may not be for every athlete, those who can find their place will quickly build strong bonds with the team.

“It takes physical strength and discipline,” wrestling coach Elma Garnett said. “Wrestling also requires mental strength to improve and work through the challenges you face. I have faith in our wrestlers to do well at state.”

With ample time until state qualifiers, the team’s final performance could improve further and secure a place at state. Keeping in mind the work and training behind the team, athletes have every confidence in their success.

“Wrestling is a tough sport that teaches discipline and commitment,” Kleckner said. “Skills will come [with time], but effort is something that you can’t coach. I know that in the future, every one of my wrestlers will be able to handle anything that life throws at them because they believe that they can.”