Undefeated Badgers Win Homecoming Game With Highest Score In 40 Years

Badgers+cheer+after+scoring+a+touchdown.+
Jadyn Arzola
Badgers cheer after scoring a touchdown.

The varsity football team will play tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Pflugerville at the Pflied.

The Badgers competed against East View at the Homecoming game Sept. 8. The Badgers won 72-37.

“Going into Homecoming, we predicted [East View] to be our toughest opponent so far,” assistant coach Johnathan VanLiew said. “I think a lot of us were expecting a back and forth game, but the boys ended up executing really well. Even though they made big plays we made more.” 

Lampasas scored more points than they have in a single game for more than 40 years. The players prepared all week both physically and mentally, as they do every game. 

“We physically go to work everyday after school at practice and mentally we visualize success as a team,” senior football player Preston Isom said. “We always have a good game plan going into the game from our coaches and we play together as a team all 48 minutes.”

So far this season the boys are 3-0. 

Junior Levi Guthrie uses water to cool off during the Homecoming game Sept. 8. (Jadyn Arzola)

Tonight’s game is on Thursday instead of Friday because four schools share the Pfield, so at least one game must be played on a Thursday.

“We played a playoff game there a few years ago, and it is a really nice state-of-the-art facility,” VanLiew said. “Since they’re sharing it, we can’t all use it at the same time, so we just happened to draw the Thursday straw.” 

For Isom, football is more than just a game — it’s more about his teammates.

“I love football, because I have a love for the game, but more because I have a love for my teammates,” Isom Said. “I think everyday is a great day to spend with my teammates. I think everything is great if you’re supporting the Badgers.”

View Comments (1)