Cheerleaders Gear Up For 2019 Season

JV+cheerleaders+stand+together+on+the+sidelines+during+their+final+home+football+game+of+the+2018+season.++The+cheerleaders+are+now+preparing+for+the+2019+season.+

courtesy of Grace Stivers

JV cheerleaders stand together on the sidelines during their final home football game of the 2018 season. The cheerleaders are now preparing for the 2019 season.

Lexi Moreland, Reporter

Cheer coach Shannon Lindsey held a meeting for the new squads on April 1. In this meeting, Lindsey informed the cheerleaders and parents of the upcoming year, fundraisers and many other changes in mind for 2019-2020.

“I am super excited about the new season,” Lindsey said. “We have a total of 34 in our program this upcoming season and I am looking forward to working with each of them.”

Varsity has a total of 18 cheerleaders, 2 mascots and 14 junior varsity.

“I’m excited to meet new people on the squad,” incoming freshman Makenna Karcher said. “I am also excited to experience new things.”

The cheer program is hoping to find more ways to get involved and support more groups on the campus.

“We can’t always ‘cheer’ at every event,” Lindsey said. “But we can make sure we are doing what we can to be supportive of all the great groups on campus.”

Another major goal discussed at the meeting was to “always be better than yesterday.” Overall, for the season, though, Lindsey would like to add more difficulty to the stunts.

“I think adding new stunts will be a really good idea,” freshman Brooke Miller said. “It will give the crowd something new and different to see, and it will show what we work really hard for as cheerleaders.”

Lindsey has high expectations for her team. With the cheerleaders being the ambassadors of the school, every one of the girls is expected to be a role model.

“My expectation is they work on their skills and become the absolute best cheerleader they can be,” Lindsey said. “I also expect them to be a supportive teammate.”

Since Lampasas began competing in the UIL cheer program in 2016, they have always been a state finalist. When competing in NCA Nationals, they have always placed top 3 in the nation. This year the cheerleaders and the coach hope that the legacy remains.

“They aren’t a team, they are my family,” freshman Koral Amador said. “I wouldn’t want to spend early morning practices with anyone else. I can’t wait for this year.”