Homecoming Court, Crowd Enjoy Entertaining Pep Rally

Eric+Flores+and+Monica+Garza+laugh+together+during+the+Homecoming+pep+rally.+Flores+was+elected+King+at+the+end+of+the+pep+rally+and+Garza+was+elected+Queen+that+night+at+the+football+game.+

Chris Ybarra, Photo Editor

Eric Flores and Monica Garza laugh together during the Homecoming pep rally. Flores was elected King at the end of the pep rally and Garza was elected Queen that night at the football game.

Celie Price, Advertisement Manager

In Texas, one thing marks the beginning of fall: Homecoming. Before celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the return of pumpkin-flavored everything, we must announce who the winners are for this year’s king and queen. Friday Sept. 28, seniors Eric Flores and Monica Garza were crowned as royalty.

“Hearing my name called over the speaker was a total surprise for me,” Garza said. “I was in shock, and I just looked at Eric and he was smiling and yelling ‘We did it!’ It was one of the most unexpected and amazing things I’ve ever experienced before and I’m really grateful to represent LHS.”

Before Garza’s name was announced at the football game during halftime, Flores was crowned king at the pep rally earlier that day.

“The pep rally itself was an absolute blast,” Flores said. “Being in it and winning Homecoming King was one of the greatest experiences.”

Anyone who is/has been a student at LHS knows of the Homecoming pep rally tradition, where nominees for King comedically wear makeup and dress like a female version of themselves.

“The tradition of the boys dressing up has always been a favorite of mine, and being able to help with that process was hilarious,” Garza said. “The boys were great and I’m really happy everyone liked it as well.”

The king and queen nominees were paired up for the pep rally: Garza and Flores, Amy Figurski and Qadir Tolliver, Presley Underwood and Asiel Gary, Katelin Kozma and Dylan Kannan, Sena Kucukkarca and Giovani Bienbenu, and Kamri Corbin and Landon Irvin. The girls were given the task of writing a beauty pageant-esque introduction and description of each “contestant,” that would be announced by coach Shannon Lindsey.

“We had to write something that would make the whole crowd laugh,” Underwood said. “It was kind of hard at first, but we all helped each other write something funny. We tried to make them as over-the-top as we could, and gave them some great names. The boys did amazing, and  were just crying laughing during the whole process.”

The introductions were followed by the king nominees each changing from a fancy gown to a different costume suited for performing their unique talent, which included baton twirling, air swimming, and lassoing an animal (or freshman Tate Rainwater).

“I had to be a ballerina,” Tolliver said. “None of us really had to follow a routine or anything, we just went out there and did whatever we thought could make the crowd excited. I was nervous at first, but then I just started dancing and having fun with it.”

After the performances were finished, Lindsey went on to announce Flores as the king.

“I was really honored,” Flores said. “It was cool because it was my classmates who voted me there in the first place. I value my school and all my friends here so being able to represent them means a lot.”