Student Groups Volunteer At Art In The Park

The+theatre+company+performs+Im+A+Believer+from+their+upcoming+show+Shrek+The+Musical+at+Art+in+the+Park+Saturday.+
Sumiko Lemari
The theatre company performs “I’m A Believer” from their upcoming show Shrek The Musical at Art in the Park Saturday.

Different student spirit groups and clubs participated at Art in the Park April 13.

“I’m a mix of super excited and super nervous to perform at Art in the Park,” freshman Alexis Slizoski said. “I’m excited because we have an amazing and super talented cast, and I’m nervous because I’m not the best dancer.”

Cheerleaders perform at Art in the Park Saturday. (Sumiko Lemari)

Groups including the cheerleaders, the Flames, the theatre company and NHS performed or volunteered at booths.

We have been volunteering at this event for quite a few years, and about 2 years ago, LAFTA (Lampasas Association for the Arts) contacted us about performing as well as helping,” cheer coach Shannon Lindsey said. “It’s always a fun event and gives our new cheer teams a way to perform and give back to our community at the same time.”

The theatre company performed songs from the upcoming fall musical “Shrek” with one dance number. They also advertised their Little Badgers Theatre Camp.

Student volunteers serve hot dogs at Art in the Park Saturday. (Sumiko Lemari)

“I sang Big, Bright, Beautiful World, I Know It’s Today, and I’m A Believer,” Slizoski said. “This was my first time performing at an event like this, and I can not lie, it made me nervous because I do not like performing in front of small groups of people.”

The Flames performed their Spring Show Finale Kick Routine, and the Cheerleaders did their Fight Song cheer along with other routines. Other groups, like NHS, volunteered at any table that needed extra help.

“I love getting to perform at Art in the Park every year,” junior Cadence Stephens said. “It’s also one of the first performances the high school cheer squads do! It’s an eye-opener for future pep-rallies, football games, etc.”

NHS sponsor Alison Brayton said she feels like this is a good community service project that the city puts on and just kind of gets everyone involved.

“It’s just a really fun time because it really gives little kids something to do,” Brayton said. “They get to see some of the older kids and they get to help out.”