Spanish Classes Make Eclipse Art To Display At Park

Courtesy of Megan Cormack
Spanish students colored this artwork to decorate the river walk in town during the eclipse. It also helps teach students Spanish for different astronomical words.

One Spanish class is creating artwork to display along the riverwalk in town for those visiting for the upcoming solar eclipse.  

“An artist from Uruguay, Carlos Paez Vilaro painted suns and moons,” Spanish teacher Megan Cormack said. “We are imitating his artwork of the suns and moons to celebrate the eclipse in Lampasas. Students will also create acrostic poems using the Spanish words for the sun, moon, sky, eclipse.”  

To get a better understanding of the art, Cormack teaches the students about the artist. 

“The students learn about the country Uruguay, the artist’s vision and works,” Cormack said. “We create our own sun or color a sun from the book Pintando los Mandalas del Sol by Agó Páez Vilaró. She is the daughter of Carlos. She is also an artist that draws suns.”

Students learn and show their creativity as they make their art. 

“I participated in the project as it was a fun and happy experience and a learning opportunity,” freshman Brook Durpee said. “The entire process was very enjoyable, and very simple but fun at the same time.” 

This will not be the first time students in Cormack’s class have done a project like this. 

“This is our second year to work with the Public Library and display schoolwork at the River Walk,” Cormack said. “Last year we displayed posters teaching about Hispanic Heritage Month.”

With there already being so much talk and enthusiasm surrounding the eclipse, Durpee said that her and her peers’ artwork furthers the anticipation of the event. 

“It spreads some more excitement toward the solar eclipse and provided a fun learning experience in Spanish class,” Durpee said. “Every sun has a message that corresponds to the eclipse or the sun as sweet messages.” 

Projects like these show how students can interact with their community in simple ways. 

“We want visitors to see our artwork,” Cormack said. “We want the school to merge with the community and teach about and celebrate the eclipse.”