Volunteers Host Fundraiser For Former Cosmetology Teacher

Cards+and+donations+welcome+at+fundraiser.+
Tracey Davis
Cards and donations welcome at fundraiser.

CTE teacher Tracey Davis and additional volunteers will host a pulled pork dinner fundraiser tomorrow to benefit former cosmetology teacher Christine Hearn who was diagnosed with glioblastoma wild type grade 4 brain cancer over the summer.

“100% of everything goes straight to Mrs.Hearn,” Davis said. “Everything was donated, so every penny will go to her.” 

There will be a drive thru food pickup in front of the school from 4-6 p.m. The dinner includes a pulled pork sandwich, pinto beans and cilantro jalapeno slaw. 

“We’ve got some culinary students doing the slaw and beans with chef Walsh’s help,” Davis said. “My son is cooking the meat and there are many more volunteers involved.” 

Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased in advance from Hodge & Sargent Pharmacy, Putters and Gutters, FCCLA officers and Mrs. Davis. 

“Mrs.Hearn is doing well,” Davis said. “She does not have any more growth on her tumor, so that’s a good thing.”

Food and other necessities for the fundraiser were donated by staff members and businesses. Staff signed up for specific items via a google sheet. 

“It was 3:30 p.m. one afternoon and I emailed the staff and said that if you’d like to donate to bring items sign up here,” Davis said. “I had all of them donated before 9:00 that following morning. It was amazing.”

Theater director Greta Peterson is among the staff members who donated. She said she wanted to help because she hopes others would do the same for her.

“I decided to donate because at Lampasas High School we stick together,” Peterson said. “I would hope that if someday I need help everyone would be there for me and do things like this. For me it’s all about paying it forward.” 

Blank cards are available in the mailroom for students and teachers to write Hearn well-wishes. The cards will be delivered to Hearn with the money earned. 

“Mrs.Hearn is just amazing.” Davis said. “We need to give her and her family all the support they can get because treatment is so expensive. This is the way we are able to help.”