A/V Production Students Create CTE Connections Video To Highlight Programs

This+still+from+the+CTE+Connections+video+shows+students+working+on+an+engine+as+part+of+the+automotive+program.+
Lampasas High School Video and Animation
This still from the CTE Connections video shows students working on an engine as part of the automotive program.

A/V production students led by A/V and animation teacher Madison Morris filmed and edited a video covering various CTE programs to be displayed to elementary school students. Production finished Feb. 2, with the final video being published to YouTube Feb. 9.

“I had all my video students, regardless of their level, working together,” Morris said. “The students had positive feedback, and the project was a resounding success.”

The film features interviews with students and teachers as well as classroom footage and one-on-one interviews with assistant principals Ryan Race and Paul Weinheimer.

“I really enjoyed making the CTE video,” junior and A/V student Trey Davenport said. “I liked getting to go through every class and getting to know what they do. I wish I’d had more time to film the more interesting and engaging things in each class, and I wish I could have improved my editing for the final video.”

Coming directly off of UIL submissions, Morris expressed the stress and excitement of filming and producing the feature film. To combat this, she and her students designed a system to keep the project in motion and on track until they met the deadline.

“The UIL event ignited a spark of enthusiasm and unleashed my creative potential,” Morris said. “To keep everything on track, I created a timeline tracker that clearly outlined the remaining footage required and upcoming appointments. [It] made it effortless for all my classes to stay updated.”

After this period of UIL submissions and video production, both Morris and students have taken their experiences and learned from them to improve future classes.

“I had to be determined in all my work to get the video done by the deadline,” Davenport said. “The deadline comes faster than you think it will. You need to be willing to put in the effort and get your projects seen.”

Morris considers the video an overall success, though she has expressed regret over not being able to add more to the project given the strict time constraints. Despite this, the final product has received positive feedback from students and contributors.

“I am extremely satisfied with it, though I wish I could have displayed a wider range of activities,” Morris said. “I gained a ton of knowledge from this project, and I think it would be great if every class could contribute in some way.”