The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

HOSA Hosts Blood Drive Today

HOSA Instagram
Students who are 16 can donate with parent consent, and those who are older can sign up to donate blood.

HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) is hosting a blood drive through the company Carter Bloodcare in the practice gym today. 

“It is very important to give blood because a pint of blood can save up to three people’s lives,” HOSA vice president senior Kenzie Roberts said. “Giving up part of your blood supply in a safe and healthy way can potentially have a life changing impact on someone else.” 

Students signed up for the blood drive through QR codes on flyers posted around the halls and through the link in the HOSA Instagram account. 

“To prepare someone to give blood they should definitely eat a hearty breakfast and make sure to drink plenty of water the days leading up to their appointment,” Roberts said. “It doesn’t hurt as bad as you’d think and it’s definitely worth the reward of helping another person.”

Seniors who donate two times their senior year can earn a red graduation honor cord. This is Senior Cara Mitchell’s second blood drive this year meaning she will receive an honor cord, but earning her honor cord isn’t the only reason she donates.

“I donate because of my dad,” Mitchell said. “He’s a first responder and he always donates whenever he can. He says that donating blood is the closest a regular civilian can come to saving a life.”  

Students who donate will receive a free “Be Happy Donate Blood”  t-shirt while supplies last.

“I will donate when I’m an adult because I know how important it is,” Mitchell said. “It might be more difficult because I have to go out and do it on my own, but it’ll be fine. I also want that free t-shirt.” 

Students must be at least 16 years old to donate and bring a valid photo ID with them to their appointment. Students who are 16 must bring a signed parent consent form before donating. Now that it is second semester many sophomores have turned 16 and are now eligible to donate. This includes sophomore Elaina Hepting.

“I’ve been wanting to participate in the blood drive since I found out about it, and my birthday was a few months ago so I’m eligible now,” Hepting said. “I’m a little nervous because I’ve never given blood for a blood drive, but overall I’m really excited to be able to be a part of this.”