Seniors Receive Awards At Their Final Livestock Show

photo courtesy of Judy Hail
FFA students hold their chickens at the stock show.

With over 200 entries for the Lampasas County Youth Livestock Show, at least six students placed from Lampasas High School. Students showed poultry, rabbits, goats, lambs, swine, steers and heifers Jan. 11-13.

The students put their all into their projects and it really showed within their attitude and performance during the show,” agriculture teacher Madison West said. “They were passionate about their projects and the time and dedication they put into them to get them to their show day.”

Judges based their score off showmanship, skin care and build, giving students substantial tenacity to present at their best.

“People really worked hard with their animals this year and sportsmanship was really good,” junior Paige Rutland said. “You walked around and you saw lots of people helping other people which was cool.” 

Many of the students who showed this year began with smaller projects. Students with smaller animals, such as rabbits and chickens, moved along to pigs and goats–animals with a broader routine. 

Senior Daecee Ellis presented her goats for the final time this year with the school. She won the Senior Showmanship award in the breeding goat show and marketing goat show as well as the Winning Reserve Champion market goat. 

Initially I was nervous, but as the show progressed I became more confident in my animals and showing abilities,” Ellis said. “I have won in previous years with goats that I bought from different breeders, but none of those times compared to winning with a goat that I raised.”

Ellis’ favorite part of the show was seeing other showing participants aid in the preparation of their peers. She also enjoyed watching her hard work pay off in the form of experience and success. 

I think participating in livestock shows is a valuable experience for anyone because of the hard work and dedication it takes in preparation for them,” Ellis said. “I think that I have learned a lot from showing these past ten years and I feel like I have become a better person because of it. I am thankful to have these experiences because they have shaped me for my future in animal science.”

Senior Brylie Turner calls her last stock show a “valuable experience.” She showed her chicken, goat and sheep for the final time this year.

“I was going out there as if everything was on the line, because it’s technically my senior year,” Turner said.

Ten to twenty minutes before the show, Turner always sits down and begins to focus.

“I had won both of the chicken shows and I had won the sheep show,” Turner said. “I’ve won showmanship every year since I was 8.”

Realizing she won in her final show, Turner felt an immense sense of relief and excitement.

“I just stay mentally focused and on the days that get hard, you still gotta do it,” Turner said. “It was challenging, making sure that I had everything done and prepared before I went on.”