New Tiny Home Project Temporarily Replaces Greenhouse

Juliet Cardona
The Construction Technology 1 & 2 classes are currently building a farmhouse style tiny home. Construction Tech. began this project Nov. 1, and they plan to auction off the building when finished.

The greenhouse is no more! Torn down for its wear and tear of age and replaced by a project new to the school — a tiny home!

The Construction Technology 1 & 2 classes are currently building a farmhouse style tiny home. Construction Tech. began this project Nov. 1, and they plan to auction off the building when finished. There are plans to replace the greenhouse at some point. 

“The tiny home project started with the vision of a group of men who wanted to give students a chance of leaving school with a skill that can be used in the real world, right out of high school,” construction teacher Richard Silva-Brown said.

When the auction concludes and the class receives the money from the tiny home, they will use the money to fund their future projects.

With budget cuts from local and state levels, this will ensure that the program will have enough money to keep supplying materials and tools to the program,” Silva-Brown said. “With better equipment, students will learn how to use various tools to be able to get a job in the construction field, start their own business, or just save money when something needs repair at home.”

Due to inclement weather and time without a build spot until the greenhouse was torn down, students won’t be able to finish the project this year. 

“I won’t be able to finish the project due to how many delays we have had on this project we were supposed to start last year,” senior Thomas Cox said. “I will be able to finish the framing this year if there aren’t any more major delays again.”

Students are still glad they were able to begin the project.

“It feels amazing to be doing something that helps the community,” Cox said. “Being able to build someone else a house feels amazing, along with the fact that the money that it’s sold for goes right back into the Badger Builder program.”

Students are gaining the work experience they need from this project and the class for when they have to go forth into the real world. 

“Some people learn from family members,” Silva-Brown said. “Some pay for classes at trade schools, and some just learn by attempting it after watching YouTube. These students are receiving a free education that could serve them for the rest of their lives.”