The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Cheer Team Places 8th at Spirit State, Prepares For Nationals This Weekend

Shannon Lindsey
The cheer team competed in the Spirit State Championships in Fort Worth Jan. 4 – Jan. 6.

Varsity cheerleaders competed in the Spirit State Championships in Fort Worth Jan. 4 – Jan. 6,  where the girls placed 8th overall, 5th for their fight song in the preliminary round and earned the 4th highest score for their band chant and fight song. 

“I am beyond proud of our team,” cheer coach Shannon Lindsey said. “UIL is a crazy hard competition, and it is extremely hard to make the final round as there are some amazing cheer teams in the state of Texas.”

LHS cheerleaders competed Jan. 5. The girls traveled to the Fort Worth Convention Center.

“You compete in the prelims that morning, and they announce the Top 20 teams from the prelim round and they move on and compete in the final round that night,” Lindsey said.

The cheerleaders’ work is not done. Jan. 19 – 21 is the National competition.

“We might have come up short of a medal at the UIL, but we are working hard to achieve our goal of winning Nationals,” coach Lindsey said.  “We have won two National titles at LHS in 2015 and 2017 and it’s time to bring that title back to LHS again this year.”

The cheerleaders practice every morning at 6 a.m. before school.

Sophomore Chandler Boultinghouse yells a cheer during the Spirit State Championships Jan. 5. (Shannon Lindsey)

“The girls are working hard to learn these new routines and get more powerful in our overall technique and make sure we represent Lampasas High School the best way possible,” Lindsey said.

Last year, the team won 3rd place overall at the Spirit State Championship.

“At first I was disappointed going from 3rd last year to 8th this year, but I am proud of us for even making finals after the tough year we’ve had,” cheer captain senior Bella Lindsey said. 

As this is the final year senior cheerleaders will compete for cheer, they have mixed feelings.

“I’m sad I’m done cheering in high school, but I am definitely ready to move on and not live, or cheer, in a small town,” Lindsey said.