English Teacher To Release Newest Book In Dystopian Series

Veronica Butler
English 2 teacher Vannetta Chapman stands with her Alpine series on display in the library.

English 2 teacher Vannetta Chapman has written and published between 45 and 50 works since 2010, including participation in novella collections. She was a full time English teacher before leaving the school to write full time. She returned this year to teach English again part time.

Her most recent work is a dystopian (post-apocalyptic) series set in Alpine, Texas. The prequel is called “Veil of Mystery,” and the first book is “Veil of Anarchy,” followed by “Veil of Confusion,” then “Veil of Destruction.” The fourth book in the series will be released in the next few weeks.

“I love to read, and I thought I would enjoy writing,” Chapman said. “I do enjoy it, by the way. It’s a blast. It’s also a lot of work.”

English 4 teacher and debate coach Judith Ann McGhee helped Chapman in the writing of the Alpine series. McGhee lived in Alpine, Texas for four years during her time at Sul Ross University and her husband is from a town south of Alpine.

“Mrs. Chapman needed a ‘local’ to proofread her new series, to make sure that the places and geography and customs were legitimate,” McGhee said. “She wanted to make sure that if a resident of far west Texas read her books, they wouldn’t see any mistakes about the places in which the books are set.”

Chapman and McGhee have known each other since 2009 when they taught English 2 together.

“I’ve read several of Mrs. Chapman’s books,” McGhee said. “She is such a talented author. She is a truly gifted storyteller.”

Chapman said her family is her biggest supporter and that her students and coworkers have been curious as well.

“I really love this series,” Chapman said. “It’s been a lot of fun to write.”

Chapman is also a USA Today and Publishers Weekly bestselling author and she’s sold over 1 million copies.

“I can’t wait to read this most recent book,” McGhee said. “I am immensely proud of my brilliant, talented friend.”