CTE UIL Teams Compete At Regionals

Photo courtesy of Liz Haviland 
Law team poses for group photo after award ceremony Dec. 9.
Photo courtesy of Liz Haviland Law team poses for group photo after award ceremony Dec. 9.
Law Enforcement team perfects their handcuffing techniques.
Law Enforcement team perfects their handcuffing techniques. (Willow Collins)
Law Enforcement

Law teacher Michael Tatum’s Law Enforcement UIL team consists of 10 students, who practice after school Monday through Wednesday. They have practiced tirelessly in preparation for regionals in San Antonio Dec. 9.

“Each member of the team brings something different to the table, but when they work together, they are a very special group that can accomplish anything,” Tatum said. “I would put my team up against any team in the state of Texas.”

Many things are new this season. The team gained an actual class period. Tatum’s 1st period “Correctional Services” is a class specifically for his team, where they practice cell extraction, intoxicated driver and fingerprinting. 

“They practice every day during first period, and they practice three to four days a week after school,” Tatum said.

The team has also taken on an extra three teams and two more team members. 

“I feel excited going into competition with new members,”co-captain, junior Lena Jefferies said. “I have built a bond with the old members, but I also recognize the effort from the new members to try and succeed.”

Last year the team won 1st in regionals for both events, and the Felony Traffic Stop team won 2nd in state, which consists of senior Jason Brock, junior Lena Jefferies, senior Bryce Neeley and sophomore Lilian Stephen. The goal this year is to win state in at least one event.

“The individual events, I believe, are good,” Jefferies said. “The team events, I think we can improve mostly on communication.”

The team also has a new leadership dynamic, with co-captains Jason Brock and Lena Jefferies, while Bryce Neeley and Lilian Stephen are both sergeants.

“The majority of the time, the leaders work together,” Jefferies said. “Sometimes, when the communication is in person and someone is absent, or when me and JB talk, the communication can go hay-wire.” 

The regional competition was at the Veterans Memorial High School, San Antonio. They began the 2 hour drive Dec. 8, the evening before competition and headed toward the hotel.

“I’m most excited for the night before the competition,” Jefferies said. “It is the most exciting by far. I’d have to say that it is even more memorable than the actual competition.”

Most of the team members have known Tatum, or even been on his team, since freshman or sophomore year. This has caused the team to be close, and many are friends who hang out outside of school. The team is also close with Tatum.

“I feel like I have a second family with my law enforcement team,” Tatum said.

Joseph Walden reels in hose to prepare for Bunker Gear Race.
Joseph Walden reels in hose to prepare for Bunker Gear Race. (Loreily Mejia)
Firefighting, EMT

Firefighting and EMT teams went to regionals Dec. 9 at San Antonio. 

“It’s going really well this year,” firefighting and EMT teacher Ted Haviland said. “I think we got a good team this year and we got some good leadership.”

Firefighting competed in Team Agility, Individual Agility, Bunker Gear Race, and Search and rescue; while EMT competed in Patient Assessment. 

“Firefighting focuses mostly on, like, actually going into fires and fire suppression and, like, recently we’ve been doing hose lays and hose advances,” junior Wren Garner said . “With EMT it’s, like, the patient aspect, like focusing on actually taking care of the people that are hurt.”

Practices started at the end of last year and continued in late August. 

“We practice after school and then we practice during our class time,” Haviland said. “So we’ve had a lot more practice than we had last year. It’s going really well.” 

Senior Jakara Taylor and other members from both teams expressed their nervousness.

“Um, I’m a little scared to go into competition, just because it may be different from what we’ve been practicing in class,” Taylor said. 

Other students, such as senior Sarah Ross, expressed their excitement and readiness for their competitions. 

“I feel excited and ready.” Ross said. “I think that we’ve done a lot of practicing and we’re well prepared. I’m excited to see what happens and what comes next.”

After placing in regionals last year, Haviland’s goal for both teams is to get a second chance at sweeping. 

“For both these teams- from our fire class and EMT- is to win state and in multiple events,” Haviland said. 

Though the students have been preparing to compete in competitions, they also want to learn necessary skills that will help them in the future.

“I just feel like knowing how EMTs apply a bandage, or you know something in that nature, it’s just something you need to know in life in case anything were to happen,” senior Benjamin Yabarra said. 

Many members of the team have been there since sophomore year, so they have developed a close relationship with Haviland.

“I feel like I’m really close to the students because I treat them like normal people, not just students,” Haviland said. “I treat them like my kids. They kind of are my kids. I’ve always called them my kids, my firefighters, my EMTs. So they’re kind of like my family and that’s how it is at the firehouse too.”