The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Student Organizations Provide A Merry Christmas For Families In Need

Angel+Tree+donations+are+grouped+for+each+family.+
Morgan Parker
Angel Tree donations are grouped for each family.

The gym is filled with laughing and talking as over 15 different student clubs organize and count plastic bags full of Christmas cheer. 

FCCLA’s annual Angel Tree Donation was held in the practice gym on Dec. 8; students and staff alike came together to donate and contribute to a greater cause, and now up to 45 families will have a merrier Christmas.

“We work with a couple of people in the local area, and in Central Texas,”  FCCLA Sponsor Jason Walsh said. “This year we had somewhere around 45 families to donate to. The students collect toys that the kids have on their list, and they pretty much get everything done for us. My students [FCCLA members] do competitions year round, but this is our big community service project.”

FCCLA goes through a Central Texas based company each year to help pick up and deliver donated items to families. 

“Each year, they come and pick up our donations.” Walsh said. “The students also write cards to the families and all that kind of stuff.”

NHS, Athletics, Key Club, and many other organizations get involved in the event annually. 

“We’ve been organizing Angel Tree gifts for the kids,” Junior Abigail Muñoz said. “I think we [NHS Members] donated around 30 items.”

NHS Sponsor Alison Brayton has been participating in the Angel Tree donations for 5 years.

“We have a little girl who’s two, and a little boy who is three months old,” Brayton said. “So we tried to get essentials, diapers and such, and then also fun little toys for the kiddos. We gave our members the option to bring in items, or donate money for our officers to go get stuff from Walmart. We received nearly $100 in cash donations.” 

In prior years, the toy drive has been extremely popular. 

“Last year was huge,” FCCLA Sponsor Tracey Davis said. “We had over 50 families last year, but because of a staffing change in the company we donate through, we didn’t get as many this year. I hope to have more families next year, and because this is our big community event, I really want to make an impact.”

Nearly every organization at LHS gets involved in the yearly event, and it truly makes the Christmas season all the more happy. 

“We get everyone from athletics to academic classes and even admin involved,” Walsh said. “Everyone does a little bit of everything.”