Dance Teams Perform Winter Showcase

Flames+rehearse+for+Winter+Showcase+Dec.+7+
Sumiko Lemari
Flames rehearse for Winter Showcase Dec. 7

“Let’s go girls! You’re doing so good!” The dancers shout around to hype each other up. “Yes! You’re eating this dance up!”

Flames performed their annual Winter Showcase Dec. 8 in the cafetorium. The doors opened at 6:30 p.m. and tickets were $10.

“We’ve been practicing for the winter show since late October,” sophomore major Mia Bazaldua said. “Our practices are long and tiring, but it’s worth it in the end because we’re able to put on a good show.”

The show began at 7:00 p.m. and lasted around 45 minutes. There were 13 dances. Two were solos: a color guard solo and a dance student.

“I am probably the proudest of Flower and Finale,” dance teacher Jana Crawford said. “Flower is a competition piece, so it is more technical and difficult than any of our football pieces. In Finale, I am really proud of the progress that the team has made on it and the attention to detail that we have applied to its choreography.”

The Little Sparks participated in the winter show.

I’m so thrilled that the Little Sparks are participating,” Bazaldua said. “They’re my favorite part. I love being able to work with the little kids who are so passionate about dance.”

Before the show began and in between dances, there were shoutouts to the dancers. These cost $1.00 each shoutout.

“We always do shoutouts because they serve as a great reminder for the dancers to have fun and that they are loved and supported by those who have come to watch the show,” Crawford said.

Bazaldua says it gets difficult to change in between dances as she is involved with both Flames dances and dance class dances.

“I really do like our costumes this year, though,” Bazaldua said. “I think my favorite one has to be the costumes we’re using for Flower. We did borrow our Flower costume and a few other costumes from Cove.” 

Crawford said Winter Showcase is a way to highlight and recognize all the dance classes who work really hard on their pieces.

“Winter show is always emotional since it is our senior’s last one,” Bazaldua said. “I’m pretty close to the seniors and I’m sad they won’t be here next year.”