Students “Squared” Silly

Junior Seth Kachel and freshman Abigail Justice work the Key Club booth at Squared Sillt OCt. 28. Photo courtesy of Danelle Ecker

Student clubs and organizations participated in the annual Squared Silly event Oct 28. This event features a costume contest, mini zombie run, haunted hayride and house and multiple different games for families to enjoy. 

Organizations such as Key Club, NHS, HOSA and Cheer set up activities and games to raise money. 

“We run a booth where kids can play games, or they participate in our Zombie Run,” Key Club adviser Danielle Ecker said. “The booth is simple, we just set the games up and stuff like that, and for the Zombie Run [Squared Silly organizers] give us an alleyway to set up our barriers and obstacles. The object of the game is to have players make it through the alleyway without getting their flag taken, it’s pretty much flag football. Then our Key Club members dress up and pretend to be zombies.”

The cheerleaders helped organize the annual costume contest this year and ran a cotton candy and photo booth. 

“We definitely have to get organized for the costume contest this year and as far as our other two booths, that is just planning the logistics for the cotton candy and then a possible photo backdrop,” cheer coach Shannon Lindsey said

NHS ran their annual bounce house booth and had a great turnout.

“Vision Lampasas gets two bounce houses each year, and we are in charge of monitoring it, watching the kids and making sure they’re safe,” NHS sponsor Alison Brayton said. “Since as long as I’ve been a NHS Sponsor, seven or eight years, we’ve always done the bounce houses.”

NHS students also have had to change the way the bounce house booths have been set up, due to their popularity.

“I’ve learned through the years that in order to set up we need to literally rope off lines to keep the crowd under control because we get hundreds and hundreds of people who come,” Brayton said. “My students helped me set up lines, tape up signs on ticket costs, and collect parent signatures. They are also in charge of grouping the kids that want to bounce into groups of five, and keep their time in check. Students are in charge of making sure the next crew gets on, and they pretty much just run the whole thing.”

LHS Flames drill team also contributed a booth to the celebration: face painting.

Flames have participated in Squared Silly for a while,” Flames coach Jana Crawford said. “While our activities and methods of participation have varied over the years, we have always been a part of it. I remember participating in it when I was in school.”