The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Toyota Program Offers Auto-Tech Students Certification Opportunity

Senior+Owen+Siegel+installs+the+throttle+body+on+a+2002+Biuck+Century.+
Dakota Decker
Senior Owen Siegel installs the throttle body on a 2002 Biuck Century.

In today’s world, almost every person needs a vehicle, and with this demand, auto-technicians are sought out at high rates. The nation has roughly 800,000 technicians currently — this is a shortage. The auto-tech program has partnered with Toyota for students to become certified technicians.

Toyota allows students to enroll in their TTEN (Toyota Training Education Network) program. They are the only auto-manufacturer that has given access to the entirety of their curriculum. This will get them certified in different areas of auto-tech, and with these certifications, students will get hired on the spot right out of high school.

“They can also work on it during their spare time,” auto-tech teacher Edward Gold said. “Once they pass all of their modules, they are Toyota Maintenance Certified. This will allow them to walk into any Toyota dealership in the nation and get a job.”

Toyota provides different materials that allows them to get a more hands-on experience.

“Due to our partnership, they have sent us several engines, and a transmission for us to practice on,” Gold said. “We will continue working with them and training our students in their curriculum to set them up for a fantastic debt free career.”

Students do not only gain knowledge on Toyota products, they also gain knowledge and experience on a variety of motor vehicles.

“Getting into auto-tech two and learning all of this Toyota stuff, it’s been — not only a help for learning about Toyota vehicles — but for working on my own truck and other vehicles too,” senior William Picket said. 

TTEN gives students an achievable goal to work toward. Toyota doesn’t send their students into debt after completing their schooling.

“I have high hopes,” senior Bennett Jensen said. “I hope I am able to get a good job and stay with the company for a while, so that I can make a good living and do the things that I want to do.”

The first student to finish the program 2 years ago works at a Toyota dealership making $45K a year. When he finishes the TTEN program at ACC Round Rock, he will make around $100k going forward. 

“The partnership we have with Toyota is just in its beginning stages,” Gold said. “And we are already seeing the fruits of it.”