Seniors To Visit Tarleton Library Oct. 25

Trip+flyer+displayed+outside+the+library+door+for+seniors.+
Ava Miller
Trip flyer displayed outside the library door for seniors.

Seniors have the opportunity to take a trip to the Dick Smith Library at Tarleton State University in Stephenville Oct. 25. The deadline to sign up for the trip is Oct. 18. 

“ [The purpose is] to provide students, especially first-generational college-bound students, an opportunity to learn how a university library works, and what opportunities it provides,” secondary librarian Shelly Myers said. “I had a bad experience the first time I went to the PCL Library on the UT campus, because I just wasn’t prepared for how different, and overwhelming, the six-story library was from my small high school and public libraries. The second time I went, I lucked into meeting a very helpful student worker who gave me a tour, and explained how I could find and use all of the library sources.”

This is not the first trip the library has organized for seniors, but it is the first successful trip to Tarelton due to the cancellation of the previous Tarelton library trip due to COVID. 

“We took about 12 students to the PCL Library at The University of Texas a few years ago, pre-COVID, and the students that went said they got a lot out of it,” Myers said. “I’m excited that we’re now getting to take students this year. If we have enough interest, we’ll try to schedule such a trip every year.”

While seniors are currently the only grade able to go on this trip, if there is noticeable interest from juniors, Myers is willing to make the trip available to both grades. 

Senior Micahel Bosquez said this free trip is the perfect opportunity to explore.

“I hope to get the knowledge of what to do and the etiquette difference between high school and college, and I’m looking forward to getting rid of the wonders and exploring a new area that will stick with me when I go to college,” Bosquez said.

Myers said campus libraries are crucial to a students overall education, so it is important to know how to navigate them. 

“Your university library is an invaluable resource for student success, and being able to tour one, even at a university you’re not planning on attending, will be helpful,” Myers said. “Many offer various student resources, such as study rooms (private or small group), writing labs, research assistance/paper reviews, learning labs, maker spaces, etc., not to mention the value a library support staff provides its students.”