Senior Top Scholar Crowned HoCo Queen

Veronica Butler
Former Homecoming queen Madison Roedler crowns senior Kenzie Roberts at halftime Sept. 8.Homecoming king Dylan Duvall holds flowers for Kenzie.

Wearing a hot pink, two-piece dress, she walks across the football field with her dad as the announcer lists her accomplishments. She holds a smile on her face as she waits for the announcement of Homecoming queen. 

When “Kenzie Roberts” is announced, she hugs her dad, beaming. Former Homecoming queen Madison Roedler places the crown on senior Kenzie Roberts’ head. 

“I was thrilled to be Homecoming queen,” Kenzie said. “My mom is my idol and when she was a senior at LHS, she won Homecoming queen, so this title is very special to me.”

A Homecoming tradition at the school is that the former Homecoming queen returns to Lampasas to crown her successor. 

“I am so excited to come back and crown the next year’s queen,” Kenzie said. “It’ll be fun to come back to my hometown to share that special experience with another.”

Senior Janie Resa was excited for her friend to win.

“I voted for Kenzie because I honestly just wanted to see her win,” Janie said. “She’s the most caring person ever and she deserved it so much. No words could ever describe how happy all of us were [when she won], and just seeing her face and how humble she was, I think shows a lot.”

The other girls on the court were seniors Reagan McDonald, Saydalee Walker, Lilee Hamill, Keely Carl and Kaitlyn Bull.

“They are very sweet girls and I loved being a part of this year’s court,” Kenzie said. “Every single one of them is a queen in my eyes.”

Senior and mascot Janie Resa gives senior Kenize Roberts a pep talk before the Homecoming game Sept. 8. Kenzie is later crowned Homecoming queen. (Veronica Butler)