The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Jiminy Crickets!

Insects Infiltrate School Entrances, Football Game
Sumiko Lemari
Crickets, both dead and alive, pile around the doors bus riders use.

An abnormal amount of crickets have been infiltrating the school’s entrances and the football game Sept. 14.

“The infestation is not the best sight to see, especially in the mornings,” sophomore Giselle Ruperto said. “It grosses me out because it’s just a cluster of a bunch of chirping.”

When students get off the buses, they are surrounded by excessive amounts of crickets at the entrances. The insects have climbed up the school walls and some have slowly made their way into the halls of the school.

“One tried to jump in the pocket of my hoodie,” sophomore Lydia Skiles said. “Then, one kept coming towards my backpack and I tried to flick it away, but it wouldn’t leave me alone. In conclusion, I hate crickets.”

At the football game, people said it seemed like it was raining crickets because of how many jumped around and flew around the stadium lights.

“They would fall on our hats and would be on our uniforms,” sophomore Flame Mia Bazaldua said. “We would have our managers come around and get them off of us but they would keep coming back.” 

The crickets congregate around doorways due to the bright lights. The school will continue to sweep them out of the doorways, but they will not do anything to remove the crickets from the premises, like pesticides. 

“They will go away naturally with the weather turning cooler,” assistant principal Ryan Race said.

The reason for the influx of crickets is due to the rainy spring which allowed the grass to grow, so they could repopulate. It then takes about three months for them to grow to full size. 

I feel that there is the same number as most years,” Race said. “We just haven’t seen them much this year because it has been so dry.