The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

English Teacher’s Academic Class Wins Homecoming Door Decoration Contest

Joshua Truong
English teacher Nathaniel Brayton’s Stranger Things themed door won first place in the Homecoming door decoration contest Sept. 8.

With the start of Homecoming week, student council invited students and teachers to participate in a door decorating contest.  Academic period classes were encouraged to create elaborate scenery or decor to place along the doors and walls of their classrooms The winners were announced before the pep rally Sept. 8.

“I was actually a little shocked when we won,” the competition winner, English teacher Nathaniel Brayton said. “I knew our door was awesome, and I was very proud of it, [but] I thought there were some others who went all out.”

The competition encourages students and teachers alike to showcase their artwork and Badger pride. It provides a fun way for participants to get involved and feel engaged in school events.

“I don’t [participate] in the contest, but it’s nice to see the school spirit being spread,” sophomore Sebastian Rangel said. “If anything, looking at some of the decorations makes me wish there was more time to work on them.”

Alongside providing a way for students to feel involved in the festivities, these decorations liven up the halls and spread school spirit. Due to limited time and resources, these opportunities are limited to Homecoming. 

“Decorating contests could absolutely be spread to other events like Halloween or Christmas if we had the time,” English teacher Megan Achée said. “I just worry that overdoing them would take away from the novelty of the experience. If [the decorations] are up all the time, they start to feel less special.”

With one week to make decorations for the competition, the event provides a challenge for participants to produce their best work. This allows a reprieve from stressful school life for students.

“It gets students working together,” competition runner-up Elma Garnett said. “[They get to] collaborate on something fun instead of just schoolwork.”

Homecoming week sees school spirit flying high campus-wide. The door decoration contest spreads festivity and reminds students of the pride their peers and teachers have.

“I don’t know if anything creates a level of involvement quite like the door decorating contest,” Brayton said. “Some of the dress-up days are fun for both students and teachers too. When everyone participates, it creates a fun vibe and atmosphere at the school.”