Students Celebrate HoCo Spirit Week

Loreilly Mejia
Sophomores Jetzalie Guzman and Peighton Hamilton wear mums to celebrate Homecoming day Sept. 8.

Spirit week for Homecoming was Sept. 5-8 and it followed the theme ‘Stranger Things.’

Cheerleaders chose the overall theme while the student council created the spirit days.

The themes for each day were 80s Tuesday, Western Wednesday, Jersey Thursday, and Favorite Stranger Things Character Friday. 

“Student Council is traditionally tasked with the dress up days during spirit weeks,” student council sponsor Jenn Moore said. “Right now, it’s Homecoming. Later it will be Red Ribbon Week in October.  If students have a great idea for a dress up day, we encourage them to let their class officer know. Those people are listed in each Class Canvas.”

As the week went on, many students dressed up accordingly for their favorite day. 

“I really liked the western theme,” sophomore Peighton Hamilton said. “I like today [Friday] even better because of Stranger Things. It’s just that awesome.” 

Although Friday was Stranger Things character day, many students decided to wear their mums and garters instead. 

“I don’t really watch Stranger Things,” senior Vanessa Mason said. “So I didn’t have all the stuff to do the days, but I did have the mum my mom made for me.” 

To encourage students to participate in Spirit Week, the student council made a new game called “This or That.” Which is a tournament-style game for students who tag student council on their photos for each day they participate.  

“To be honest, it was cool,” junior Yoseline Montiel said. “I like spirit week and because Friday was Homecoming and everyone was excited for it. Especially for the Homecoming game. That was my favorite part.”