The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Volleyball Team Wins Best HoCo Parade Float For Third Consecutive Year

Cheer Places Second
Head+volleyball+coach+Christy+Wiley+celebrates+receiving+the+First+Place+HoCo+Parade+Float+Spirit+Stick+with+the+volleyball+team+Sept.+6.+
Joseph Neuenschwander
Head volleyball coach Christy Wiley celebrates receiving the First Place HoCo Parade Float Spirit Stick with the volleyball team Sept. 6.

Lampasas community members attended the Homecoming parade Sept. 6. The parade featured floats from high school clubs and teams, including LHS’ volleyball and cheer teams; who won 1st and 2nd place, respectively.

“Winners receive a pretty amazing spirit stick made by [Spanish teacher] Elma Garnett years ago when she was sponsor of Student Council,” student council advisor Jennefer Moore said. “She is responsible for many traditions in the community that Student Council is in charge of.  We are just following her lead and trying to build upon it as we go.  The REAL thing winners win is bragging rights. Don’t think twice about it, that spirit stick is a coveted item, and many entries are there to win it!”

The high school volleyball team has won the parade float contest for three consecutive years, including this year. 

“The entire volleyball program participated in the process [of making the parade float] and we were super excited to win again,” head volleyball coach Christy Wiley said.  “We will make it four in a row next year!”

The cheerleader’s float design earned them the second place title. 

“This year our design was just to use the Stranger Things theme and relate it to our specific float,” cheer coach Shannon Lindsey said. “So, we used retro wallpaper and Christmas lights and added the words “Cheer Things” to our lights.  We then just tried to put things on the float from Stranger Things the show.”  

Judges are from shops around the community, including the Trading Post and Turquoise Door. 

“We try to make this a true community event and go beyond anyone in the local schools to judge,” Moore said. “ We reach out to local businesses so we can show appreciation to the community for their support by publicly thanking them at the community pep rally after the parade, but also they are more likely to not feel a conflict of interest judging.”