Lady Badger Volleyball Starts Season

More stories from Katie Procter

Junior Laurcy Bender, sophomore Madison Roedler and senior Skylor Poole practice Thursday morning before school.

The Lady Badger volleyball team lost their away game against Academy Tuesday night, 22-25, 22-5 and 23-25. They play again tomorrow in a dual match against Burnet and Johnson
City.
Head coach Whitney Doyen also coaches basketball as the assistant coach and teaches PAP Geometry and Pre-Cal. She is hopeful for the upcoming season.
“I am excited for this season and expect us to compete on all levels of play,” Doyen said.
Junior Laurcy Bender plays outside hitter and occasionally left back. Bender has played with Doyen as her coach since her freshman year and they have created a bond like no other.
“Coach Doyen has impacted me the most,” Bender said. “She’s pushed me past my mental blocks and is making me a better athlete and person.”
Senior Skylor Poole plays as the setter and is equally grateful for Coach Doyen.

“Coach Doyen has impacted me more than any of my previous coaches because she believes in me especially when I don’t believe in myself.”

— Senior Skylor Poole

“Coach Doyen has impacted me more than any of my previous coaches because she believes in me especially when I don’t believe in myself,” Poole said.
Varsity comes to practice from 6:15 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. each morning, preparing for the games of the week. They play Tuesday nights and Friday nights.
“We focus on serve receive, finding holes in the opponent’s defense and building a positive team culture,” Doyen said.
Coaches are required to wear masks during practice due to COVID-19, but the players aren’t required to while actually practicing. The girls have adjusted to multiple changes that
affect how they play and how close they are with each other.
“It’s made it hard because we can’t high five each other or be as close in team huddles which is where a lot of our energy stems from,” Bender said.
Poole is excited for this new season and hopes for the best for her last year playing in high school.
“I am definitely excited to graduate, but I know I will miss volleyball and my team,” Poole said.