Law Enforcement Assists Students With Tactical Competition

Senior+Victoria++Garza+puts+handcuffs+on+sophomore+DJ+Ramirez+during+the+felony+traffic+stop+simulation+for+the+tactical+competition+April+23.+Sophomore+Amore+Zapata+assists+in+the+the+background+while+Officer+Hernandez+monitors+and+judges+for+the+contest.+

Katie Procter, Reporter

Senior Victoria Garza puts handcuffs on sophomore DJ Ramirez during the felony traffic stop simulation for the tactical competition April 23. Sophomore Amore Zapata assists in the the background while Officer Hernandez monitors and judges for the contest.

Katie Procter, Reporter

Law enforcement teacher Officer Michael Tatum hosted a tactical contest with multiple police officers and state troopers to teach students what protocols to follow in real-life scenarios April 23.

The students [competed] in the Lampasas High School Law Enforcement Challenge,” Tatum said. “This [consisted] of felony traffic stop scenarios and building search scenarios.”

The contest occurred in the parking lot of the high school and the lecture hall. Two State Troopers, two Game Wardens, two Sheriff’s Deputies and one Lampasas Police Department Officer attended to help the students. 

“I do plan on continuing this competition every year if the school allows it,” Tatum said. 

Freshmen Neely Miller and Garrett Boswell won the Felony Traffic Stop Competition and freshman Ryu Maldonado, freshman Korbin Gill, freshman Owen Seigel, sophomore Isabelle May and senior Samuel Tucker won the Building Search Competition.

“I think we won because we were very direct and I think the judges liked the way we worked together as a team,” Miller said. 

Tatum teaches Principles of Law Enforcement, Law Enforcement I, Law Enforcement II, Forensic Psychology and Court Systems.

“My favorite part of Tatum’s class is going to the lab to work on a new skill he taught us,” Miller said.

Tatum said this contest helped students understand the split second decisions officers must make at a moment’s notice. 

“They need to make the right decision when they do make that decision,” Tatum said. “They also learned police officers are under a microscope because everyone is always watching them on and off duty.”

This was the first year the school hosted this contest.

“I learned a whole new perspective about the police force and what they do for our communities,” Miller said. “I would definitely want to do this again. I had so much fun learning about the procedures you go through just to arrest someone.”