UIL Gives Go Ahead For Summer Training

Adam Arthurs

More stories from Adam Arthurs

Courtesy of Nate Borchardt

Sophomore Nate Borchardt physically trains at home due to COVID-19. “Limited” public UIL athletic training may begin June 8.

The University Interscholastic League (UIL) gave coaches and fans across the state hope and excitement on Tuesday morning that the 2020 high school football season and other sports could proceed as normal. 

In an email to coaches, UIL Director of Athletics Susan Elza said “limited” summer strength and conditioning may resume June 8.  

“UIL is aware of Governor Abbott’s May 18 announcement and is actively working with appropriate state officials to allow schools to begin limited summer strength and conditioning and marching band activities on June 8, 2020,” Elsa said in the email. “As soon as the details of that plan are finalized, UIL will release them to schools to allow time to plan and prepare for bringing students back to campus for these purposes.”

Monday, Gov. Greg Abbott announced youth sports can begin holding practices without spectators other than one parent or guardian per participant, as needed, beginning May 31. Youth sports may begin holding games or similar competitions, with or without spectators June 15.

“I don’t think it’s too early for team workouts,” sophomore Nate Borchardt said.  “I think we’re all ready to workout with our teammates now and COVID shouldn’t be too much of a problem for Lampasas,” Bochardt said.

After the closure of school buildings during the spring semester due to the COVID-19, the final day of UIL activities was March 14. Seasons were officially canceled April 17, sending athletes into a frenzy to stay fit and healthy during the pandemic. 

“I have been doing workouts every day that Coach Nuckles has been sending them out and doing some of my own workouts as well,” Bochardt said.

Athletic director Troy Rogers sent out a weekly workout routine for athletes to do during quarantine.

“I am just trying to get as much work as I can,” junior Owen Seaver said.  “And I’m trying to get better every chance I get now that quarantine is lifting across the state of Texas and Governor Abott announcing the continuation of little league sports.”

Whether or not the Coronavirus pandemic will affect fall sports will remain to be seen. 

“I do think that there will be an impact, but not a huge impact hopefully,” Seaver said.