Varsity Victory

First Win Against Liberty Hill in Three Years

Daunte Cuffie, Sports Co-Editor

As she gazes across the diamond with the bat in her hand, senior Sloan Johnson swings at the ball.  It’s the top of the 8th inning and the score is tied. When she connects, she sprints to second base on the double hit. Then junior Kamri Corbin hits a hard single to the outfield, sending Johnson across the plate for the Lady Badgers’ sixth run and a win against Liberty Hill for the first time at Panther Stadium.

¨We have not beat Liberty Hill since I was a freshman, and to finally get a win over them brought a lot of emotions to the entire team, and at that moment we all felt so much pride.¨ Johnson said. ¨I have played this game since I was a kid, and I love it so that is why I continue to compete and strive to succeed with my teammates.I am really proud of our girls for the way we bonded together and competed. This season became very emotional, and I am so glad that I got to spend my last games with these group of girls.¨

Junior Natalie Denoso who plays left field said that she is very proud of the team and that she is content with the turnout of the season. Denoso was injured while making a play during the playoff game against Cadwell.

“It does not feel too good to get an injury in our final game, but I am still happy that the team continued to work together and compete their best,¨ Denoso said. ¨All we have to do is continue to work really hard to come back even stronger this next season, and we will miss our seniors, but we will get other athletes to step up and fill those spots.¨

The girls made it to the first round of the playoffs but their season an end after the second game against Caldwell on March 29. The Lady Hornets beat the Lady Badgers 15-10 in game one of the bi-district series on March 26 and 12-6 in game two.

¨This season has brought us all closer together, and I would not trade this team in for the world,¨ Kamri Corbin said. ¨Next season I hope we go even further into the playoffs than this year. We all work hard together, and my main goal is to be the best player that I can be to help our team come up with a win. We just have to keep working and bonding together, and eventually we will become a team that will have a lot of success.¨