Theater Treasure

One Act to perform in competition

Celie Price, Feature Editor

After the theater program’s grand performance of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the next One Act play may seem hard to follow. However, the next performance, which will be Treasure Island, based on the novel by Robert Louis Stevenson. The first show will be on Feb. 26.

¨We´re all excited about it,” Peterson said. “We´ve had a very good season. We´re hoping to have as much success with this piece, since it´s competition for UIL.¨

Although the play is based on a book, the cast and crew isn’t afraid to put their own twist on it.

¨It´s a very complex play,¨ Peterson said. ¨We have five scene changes, and the kids will have to do everything in under 40 minutes.¨

The cast is also being altered, for example, instead of having the main character be played by a male, the role of Jim Hawkins will be played by a female student.

“It’s an exciting year because of our new director and the fact that we have three freshmen on stage,” junior Melanie Burbey said. “It’s also interesting because we haven’t done an adventure story in a long time.”

Auditions for roles were recently held, with the lead role given to junior Kenzie Peacock. Other roles include Garrett Mcguire as Long John Silver, Paul Peralta as Squire Trelawney, Brooke Branum as Dr. Livesey, and John Esparza as Billy Bones.

“I’m playing Joan the Goat,” Burbey said. “It’s a smaller role but it’s also really funny and I’m having a lot of fun in rehearsals.”