Heavy Lifters

Power lifters Begin Season Victorious

Daunte Cuffie, Co-Sports Editor

The powerlifting season is underway, and boys and girls lifters competed on Jan. 18 at the home meet to give them their first competition win for the 2018 season. As a whole, the boys’ placed first overall and the girls’ placed second.

Michael Cornish, a senior and a three-year powerlifter who placed first at the home meet, said that he is ready for the challenge this year and is ready to compete.

“I love the competitive aspect of the sport,” Cornish said. “It allows me to be the very best that I can be.”

Kyle Arriola, a sophomore in the 123 pound weight class, tied the school bench press record at 195 pounds and placed first at the Lampasas Powerlifting Meet

“I like winning and lifting weights,” Arriola said.  “Itt is awesome tying the school record,” Arriola said.

Tori Martinez is a junior who placed first at the home meet.

“The powerlifting meet was really fun, and I had a great time competing,” Martinez said. “I give all glory to God and I feel great about moving forward into the rest of the season.”

Monica Garza is also a junior who competed in the home meet. She is a new lifter this year, and said that she is hoping to do impressive things.

“I enjoy seeing myself and my teammates achieve new goals each week,” Garza said. “Lifting an amount of weight that you physically and mentally thought would never be possible is the best feeling.”

The girls placed second as a team on Jan. 25, at Burnet High School. The boys placed first overall at the tournament. The teams will compete again on Feb. 8 at Brady High School.