Scoring Goals

Soccer Kicks Off Season With Tourney

Daunte Cuffie, Co-Sports Editor

The soccer season kicked off during Christmas break with an alumni game for the boys’ team and a tournament for the girls.

Junior goalie Trinity Cronk said is very hopeful about the season, and she thinks the team will do very well.

“The tryouts were very hard and challenging,”Cronk said. “I think the team came together to get through the very tough challenges together. I have been on varsity since sophomore year now, and I feel with that experience under my belt, my confidence is higher than ever, and I am ready to have a great season with my teammates.”

Currently the girls’ team has a 1-1 record with a win against Florence on Jan. 9 and a loss against Fredericksburg on Jan. 5.

“I think the team will do very good against the other teams we will go against and get wins and success,” Cronk said. “We have to work very hard and stay focused while out there on the field trying to bring a win back home.”

After last season, many seniors graduated leaving the team with some empty slots, allowing younger players to step up into those positions.

“I am excited to see who all gets moved up onto the varsity team,” Cronk said. “I am sure that whoever does move up will do their best and put all of their effort out for this team. We all have to work very hard together and come together as a winning team.”

Francisco Rodriguez is a senior for the boys’ team who is looking to make some key plays on the field to help the team win. Rodriguez said  that they have also put much effort in tryouts and practices to make this season great.

“I am really excited about this season because I think we can get a lot of wins to make history for our school,” Rodriguez said. “No one should be able to beat us because we work so hard and practice like crazy.”

During the soccer offseason, Rodriguez served as the  kicker on the football team. After playing football, Rodriguez said he feels very confident in his skills because of getting to work with the football team.

“Playing football for the first time ever was pretty fun,”  Rodriguez said. “I got to workout out with the team and kick all of the time.”

The Jan. 16 games were canceled due to weather.

The girls lost all of their tournament games. They competed on Jan. 19-20 at the Knights of Columbus Tournament in Stephenville. On Jan. 23, the Girls lost 2-0 against Waco Robinson. The the Boys beat Waco Robinson 2-1. On Jan. 30, the Boys lost to Little River Academy 4-1. The Girls won against Jarrell 3-0 on Feb. 3.