The Sound of Music

School Should Bring Choir Class Back

Megan Dwamena, Online Editor

For the past several years, the school has not been able to find a qualified choir director, leaving the choir program non-existent. This year, however, Meretta Peterson, the new theater director, expressed an interest in musical theater and is directing the musical Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as the school’s fall  play. After a large turn-out for the parts in the play, it is evident that choir program should be revived.

A choir program would open up another field for scholarships and degree opportunities that do not exist now for students.  While being able to sing is in many ways a natural talent, a certified teacher trained in music theory and performance would help students develop those talents, and therefore, possibly be able to apply for and receive those scholarships now denied them.

There is a need for students to be able to represent the school through activities other than sports, art, and theater. Some students are not gifted athletes or artists. But a vocal music program may be more inline with their interests. If Ms. Peterson’s musical theatre program is to succeed, then there is a need for more classes than just hers for students to learn and perform music.  That is especially true if the choir program would attract enough students to be able to support a competition choir as well as a show choir, something students have expressed a desire to have. Music can be a wonderful way for students to express individuality as well as provide a creative outlet.

Additionally, if the school moves to a nine-period day next year, students will need more classes from which to choose electives.  While the new CATE classes added this year will provide some of those, a choir program would add even more variety, especially for those students who are not interested in engineering, floral design, criminal justice, or culinary arts. While it seems like those would be enough to satisfy the needs of the students, there is little reason for a large 4A school not offer more to its students an elective that seems to be popular and of interest to a large number.  

While some will say that if we have survived this long without a choir program that there is obviously no need to add one now. But the fact that the fall musical drew so many interested students is a clear indicator that this is not necessarily true. It is more likely that a student will enter into some sort of musical career than some of the other electives offered now.

LISD should take note and begin a choir program for the next school year.  Students should let the administration know that this is a program worth having for all the right reasons.