New Year, New Classes

CATE Electives Bring More Teachers to Lampasas

Celie Price, Feature Editor

This year, brand new, career-based electives were added to class schedules, giving students options ranging from cooking, law, mental health, and others.

A popular elective out of the new ones is floral design which is taught by Drew Cleavinger. Cleavinger also coaches softball and teaches college dual-credit speech.

“I think there are positive and negative aspects of being the first one to teach this class,” Cleavinger said. “Unfortunately, you don’t have a reference of what was done before, but that allows for creativity to make it what you want it to be.”

Some of the arrangements that students were  displayed at Freshman Family Night, Sept. 17. Cleavinger said the class teaches a variety of things.

“The students will learn the basics of design from tools to placement of flowers, floral identification, and a portion of business aspects involved in floral design,” Cleavinger said. “They will get to explore the idea of creating an entire event as well as small individual pieces.”

With all the new curriculums offered, new teachers joined the faculty and staff as well. One of them is Laura Morris, who teaches food science and lifetime wellness and nutrition.

“I’ve enjoyed this year so far,” Morris said. “ I have a great group of kids.”

Morris has an extensive teaching background, with certificates in biological science, kinesiology, agriculture science, and family consumer science. She has also taught in Colorado City, Texas.

“I’ve taught Child Development, FCS, Lifetime Nutrition, as well as Principles of Education classes,” Morris said. “The only thing new this year is Food Science.”

Students have gotten the opportunity to learn how to make their own food by doing it in class.

“It’s a really fun period,” junior Carlee Coonrod said. “It’s very hands-on. We even gotten to make s’mores a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious!”