Stage of Pure Imagination

Theater Students prepare for their Production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Celie Price, Feature Editor

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl has been adapted into movies, games, and even a Broadway Musical, but now it’s time for students here to step into a world of pure imagination.

The production will be held on Nov. 4-5th and 11-12th starting at 7:00 on Saturdays and 2:00 on Sundays. The cast will include Paul Peralta as Willy Wonka, Amy Figurski as Charlie Bucket, Garrett Mcguire as Grandpa Joe and others. Theater teacher Greta Peterson, who started in that position this year, is directing the play. There will also be actors from the middle and elementary schools.

“I wanted to find a play that would bring the community together,” Peterson said. “It’s a big family show, and it will give the younger kids the opportunity to be in a play, even as little as first grade.”

Peterson hopes to follow the original story while also being family friendly.

“We’re trying to stay as true to the book as possible,” Peterson said. “But we’re having fun with it, so it will have some surprises in there.”

Peterson said she is is very confident in her new students and is impressed with the dedication they have so early in the school year.

“These are the best singers I’ve seen in years,” Peterson said. “The tech crew is already starting to put together all the lights, make sure the walkie talkies work, and they’re willing to come on weekends and after school. I’ve never seen so much enthusiasm at one high school.”

Junior Amy Figurski will also be playing her first lead role, as well as her first role as a boy, portraying Charlie Bucket.

“This is my second show that I have the opportunity to be acting in, and I can’t wait to put it on for the school,” Figurski said. “I’m definitely nervous and excited at the same time, but I’ve already started memorizing my lines, and I know it’ll turn out great. There’s actually a song where I have to burp on command – a lot – which I haven’t mastered, but I’m working on it!”