The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Critic Wishes Disney Used More Original Plot In Newest Movie

Loreily Mejia
The movie Wish convey Disney’s message that everything starts from a singular wish and that a wish is the most powerful thing a person can have.

In October of 2023, Disney Studios celebrated their 100-year anniversary of the creation of Disney. To spread their joy and happiness, the studio decided to release a new movie named Wish in November of 2023. 

Many fans of Disney weren’t sure what to expect from the movie and all had different opinions when it came to the plot, the characters, the animation style, and the musical aspects. However, many were left unsatisfied after watching the movie.

The movie Wish isn’t the best movie Disney has ever created, but it does well with spreading their lifelong message: wishes do come true.

Disney is known for their plots often being the same: you meet the main character, then the side characters who befriend the main character, a massive problem occurs, and finally the main character overcomes their struggles and solves the problem whatever it may be. The plot is very overused, but Disney always ends up handling it well. Even in the case of Wish, the movie’s plot was roughly the same as any other Disney movie. The main character, Asha ends up having an argument with the King, Magnifico, and tries to prove to him that one’s wish can be granted without the use of magic. She later wishes and befriends a star who helps her release everyone’s wish from King Magnifico’s grasp. Her friends and a talking goat help her as well, and eventually they overthrow the King and give everyone back their wishes. Though this was a good concept and fit the ‘Disney’ theme, when animated the plot became very spotty and confusing. The time frame for each scene was poorly put together — the plot moved so fast that if a viewer looked away for a few minutes they would be left confused. 

Despite the plot timing being a bit on the rough side, the characters were created quite well. Each one of the characters had a distinct personality which helped make the movie seem more smooth. Each character was its own person, one side character didn’t outshine the others. Each one had a good and relevant amount of screen time and the people who voice the characters helped them seem more life-like. The voice actors were all selected well and each one was able to fit into their roles perfectly, which allowed the viewers to create a connection between them. 

When it came to the musical aspect of Disney, many were hyping it up saying it was going to be one of the best animated films of the year and would surpass Disney’s other movies, such as Encanto and Coco when it came to the music used. But, the audience was conflicted. One half said that the songs were perfect and reflected how the characters felt in the moment. Others said that the songs were choppy and tried to copy Lin-Manuel Miranda’s style. Even if the writers tried to copy his style, the songs still were great. The lyrics were fresh and told a beautiful story, and the melody matched the scene perfectly. Whether it was an emotional scene or dark secretive scene, the music matched the mood. The vocals weren’t anything too outstanding, but still made the songs feel more alive and gave them a voice for others to understand. 

Disney’s newest movie, Wish is nothing outstanding, but whether it came to the plot line, the characters, and the music, it still served its purpose. It does convey Disney’s message that everything starts from a singular wish and that a wish is the most powerful thing a person can have.