Opinion: Honors Classes Should Weigh Less Than OnRamps Classes

Students+who+partake+in+the+honors+classes+receive+the+same+amount+of+points+even+though+they%E2%80%99re+doing+less+work+and+going+through+lessons+way+slower.+
Sumiko Lemari
Students who partake in the honors classes receive the same amount of points even though they’re doing less work and going through lessons way slower.

OnRamps classes, which are college classes taught through a high school teacher, weigh 10 points toward a student’s grade point average (GPA) like an honors class. Honors classes are on-level with the grade a student is in, but the work is a little more advanced than a regular high school class. Honors classes also weigh 10 points toward a student’s GPA. 

Honors classes should weigh less than an OnRamps class. 

The work for a college class is way more advanced than a typical high schooler is used to. Before going into classes like Onramps chemistry, students had little to no knowledge on topics like stoichiometry, quantum mechanics and chemical structures. Therefore, they have to put in the extra work to study and absorb the material. It takes almost a week and a half to comprehend the material with the help of notes, multiple assignments and multiple visits to the teacher to ask questions. To fully understand without having to ask for help, it can take upwards of a month.

The workload for a college course is way bigger than an average high school class. There is homework, called a learning module, almost every night that can take anywhere from an hour to two hours to complete. In school, there are daily assignments to help students better understand, but those assignments are also time-consuming. After two learning modules, there is an Exit Ticket, consisting of four questions. There are also the labs which take three days to complete. After six learning modules, the labs and 3 Exit tickets, there is a major test. All of this work is completed within 2 weeks. 

If the classes were weighted more, it would give people a bigger reason to do their best so their GPA doesn’t drop. Students who partake in the honors classes receive the same amount of points even though they’re doing less work and going through lessons way slower. Adding 5 more points for an OnRamps class would be enough compensation for how much effort students put in to maintain their high school and their college grade. A point boost is more fair to students who choose to take more rigorous courses.

By partaking in an OnRamps class, students receive a more personalized education, college credit and college experience. Some may claim that is enough compensation as the students may already be able to make better grades than students in college taking this course. However, this isn’t enough reward for underdeveloped minds who are learning to do the same work as those older than them. 

To compensate for the workload of an OnRamps course, high school students should receive more bonus points compared to an honors class.

View Comments (1)