Mack To The Max

Junior Breaks School Bench Press Record
Junior Charles Mack bench presses during the power lifting meet Jan. 18. photo courtesy of Mack’s mother

Junior Charles Mack broke the school’s 114 weight class bench press record Jan. 18 at the home powerlifting meet in the competition gym.

“It’s awesome,” head boys’ powerlifting coach David Brister said. “That’s a big bench press for a kid who weighs 114 pounds.” 

The previous record was set by Preston Fox in 2018 with a 220 bench press. Mack beat the record by 5 pounds with an 225 bench press. 

“I’m about to break the squat record,” Mack said. “It’s 345 and I’ve got 340. I’m going to do it.” 

Mack started powerlifting his freshman year after a couple of seniors suggested he should join.

“The seniors said I’d be good at powerlifting because I weigh a little bit and I’m strong too,” Mack said. “Now I do it because I love it. It’s fun for me.”

Mack enjoys meeting different people at meets and showing them how strong he is. Mack practices with the powerlifting group both in the mornings and afternoons.

“During practice we lift heavy weights,” Mack said. “We practice with the bench suits, squat suits and belts.”

Mack ended the meet with a total of 875 placing him first overall in his weight class. The powerlifting team also placed first overall with a total of 52 points. The power lifting team has an invitational meet today.

“The meet is in Llano,” Brister said. “Mack’s not lifting in Llano though. He’s taking a break this week to rest his back.” 

Mack is preparing for his next meets by focusing on getting stronger, though he’s confident in his ability. 

“I’m excited,” Mack said. “I think I could be state champ this year.”