The Student News Site of Lampasas High School

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Badger Tracks

Polls

Did you travel over spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Cross Country Hosts Home Meet Today

Junior+Brayden+Phillips+jogs+the+580+Sports+Complex+course+the+day+before+the+Lampasas+cross+country+meet.+
Morgan Parker
Junior Brayden Phillips jogs the 580 Sports Complex course the day before the Lampasas cross country meet.

The cross country team will compete today at the 580 Sports Complex in Lampasas for the team’s home meet. 

“It is a meet leading up to district,” head cross country coach Connie Hand said. “Lampasas has always had a strong tradition of hosting a cross country meet”

This is the second year the Lampasas meet has been at the 580 sports complex.

“My strategy is to remember that I have the advantage of running this course multiple times because of the home advantage,” junior Hailey Palmer said. “I feel confident about the upcoming meet and that we will do well and make everyone proud.” 

The team has been preparing all week for the meet with practice before school and a trip to the complex yesterday after school to run the course. 

“I love the training and challenge,” Hand said. “It builds character. We have some very strong dedicated runners. I am proud they show up to practice everyday ready to go and they work hard.”

Sophomore Royce Clary has been preparing in more than one way.

“I mentally prepare by listening to music, and just imagining how I think the race will go in my head,” Clary Said. “I physically prepare for a meet by rolling and massaging my muscles the day before.”

Over the summer the girls soccer team began running with the cross country team at both practices and meets. This is to benefit the team and improve their running skills. Palmer is on both the cross country and soccer teams.

“I think it’s very bonding to run with the soccer team,” Palmer said. “It helps us get better for the season and connect with each other before we start the season.” 

While running and during preparation for the race Palmer has something special and important to her on her mind.

“While running my thoughts are on God,” Palmer said. “I ask him to give me strength to finish and beat the people around me. I pray before I start my race to help me be as calm as I can.”