Key Club Charity Drive Ends Tomorrow

Junior+Emily+Gonzales+organizes+donations+in+Key+Club+advisor+Danelle+Eckers+classroom.+

Katie Johnson

Junior Emily Gonzales organizes donations in Key Club advisor Danelle Ecker’s classroom.

Katie Johnson, Reporter

Key Club is accepting non-perishable food items, clothing, dishware and small appliances for charity through Friday. The club is hosting this drive for relief to struggling families in Lampasas and those who have lost their homes and belongings due to wildfires in Oklahoma. Students can bring the items to their academic period teacher. 

Key Club advisor Danelle Ecker said the Lampasas Mission is often low on food because they serve so many families in Lampasas County. 

“We told [the Lampasas Mission] we would try to do a drive every semester to help them out,” Ecker said. “Then, through Key Club advisor conversations, I found out that two Key Club members in Guthrie, Oklahoma  lost their homes, along with many others, in the wildfires they had.  The OK/TX Key Club District stepped up and decided we wanted to help.  This is why some of the materials collected in the drive will be going to Oklahoma.

The academic class who donates the most items will get a popcorn and snack party. 

“[Donations have] mainly been clothes, but we need non-perishable food as well,” Ecker said. “I asked my Key Clubbers to spread the word and bug their academic teachers to get their students involved. My family has also donated.”

This Saturday Key Club members will also volunteer at Lampasas Assisted Living.  

“It is just another community service we are providing,” Key Club adviser Danelle Ecker said. “It is not our last one. This time, we have teamed up with cosmetology and they will be joining us.  This will be the fourth Saturday that some of our kids have spent time with the elderly community in town.”