Introducing the New Generation

National Honor Society Inducts New Members April 5

Lucy Mantilla

NHS Officers James Vasquez, Aryana Curtis, Jenna Ball, Jamie Ball and Todd Cameron wait to begin the induction ceremony April 5.

Camille Rivera, Reporter

Induction for new National Honor Society members occurred on April 5. Students were recognized for academic excellence and community service.

The NHS officers kicked off the induction ceremony by lighting candles and reciting the pillars of NHS. Students then walked the stage as their name was called to receive their certification award. After the ceremony, there was a group photo opportunity for parents and family members of the students, as well as refreshments and concessions offered to all who attended. 

I look forward to the Induction Ceremony each year because I love seeing students who are excited that they are recognized as being a hard-working student,” NHS Co-sponsor and English II teacher, Allison Brayton said. “Seeing their families take photos and congratulate them makes me feel good as an educator.” 

This induction marks Brayton’s 8th time planning an induction. Brayton worked with other teachers and staff to avoid conflict of schedule with other events. 

I feel comfortable planning [the ceremony], but the biggest issue is simply picking a date,” Brayton said. “I strive to avoid schedule conflicts with other sporting events or organizations, but sometimes that is unavoidable.”

As academic competition heightens and colleges require more rigorous requirements, the number of students joining NHS has been on the rise. 

“Membership varies from year to year,” Brayton said. “But I think it will continue to grow in the future because class sizes are increasing.”  

To join NHS, students must complete an essay on the pillars of NHS as well as get a recommendation from three of their teachers. 

“I do feel there are a lot of students who exemplify the traits of NHS, as well as a lot of students who should be aware of those skills that they possess, which they would be rightfully accredited for by joining it,” English III teacher Dondi Hinds said. “Though, I also feel like there are those in NHS for the wrong reasons, due to it looking good on college reports. I feel like some students make it look like they have values that are representative of the pillars of NHS, but in fact may be cheating on homework assignments.” 

This year, over 60 members were inducted at the ceremony. 

“NHS, it’s very interesting,” sophomore Ishylia Cummings said. “I tried really hard on my essay and it paid off.”  

Though freshmen took up a sizeable amount of the new inductees, sophomores and juniors made their mark as well. 

“My decision to get into NHS was sudden because I didn’t really know what it was and I thought it was cool,” sophomore Loreily Mejia said. “I thought it was a really cool induction until we had to had walk across the stage. I was pretty anxious about that.” 

During the ceremony itself, NHS officers lit candles as they recited the pillars of NHS. 

“I thought the part with the candles was really cool,” Mejia said. “I thought overall it was fun and I enjoyed it.”