Cosmetology to Begin Competitions Following Christmas Break

Kilana Baird

Senior Kyara Maldonado practices straightening hair Dec. 9 for the Skills USA Competition.

Kilana Baird, Reporter

Cosmetology will begin SkillsUSA Competitions after Christmas break. The skill-focused competition begins in the classroom and can become international. Focusing on the most advanced in their career field, SkillsUSA allows students to showcase their capabilities in many professions

“The categories this year are hair styling, braiding, cuts and color, fantasy design, salon design, flat and 3D nail design.” Cosmetology teacher Christine Hearn said.

Students competing are able to pick one of the seven categories available and their work is showcased and voted on by judges. The top competitors in the district move on to state.

“I’m excited to see all of the creativeness and designs that everyone brings to the competition,” junior Alexandria Hanson said.

The showcased designs will be available for other schools to view and learn from.

“If you advance to the next level it would be a chance for that student to meet celebrity stylists and to work with the greats in our industry,” Hearn said.

Each advancing level allows more opportunities for those competing. 

“I’m hoping to help build confidence in my students, excel in all areas in cosmetology to lead to a successful and profitable career,” Hearn said.