UIL Academics Team Wins First; 21 Students Advance To Regionals

UIL Academics District participants

Lexi Moreland, Online Editor

UIL Academics got into buses and a car and traveled to Stephenville High School March 22. The students placed first place as a school for the District Competition. 

As a whole, 21 students advanced to Regionals, taking place April 23. 

¨I am thrilled,¨ UIL coordinator Judith Ann McGhee said. ¨I am so excited their hard work paid off.¨ 

Senior Jordan Plummer has competed in UIL since middle school. 

¨I felt like I went into district super nervous and didn’t do my best, but I am excited to go to Regionals with the people I love,¨ Plummer said. 

Over the past two years UIL has been different than prior years. COVID made a lot of restrictions and changes. For instance, students did not have in-person invitational meets or UIL overnight trips. 

¨[This year] Regionals is a two night trip,¨ McGhee said. ¨We leave April 21 and return April 23.¨

For seniors, this is the first year it is back to normal, and the final year for competing.

¨It’s a bittersweet feeling,¨ Plummer said. ¨I am glad I advanced but I know this may be my last tournament ever.¨

Lampasas last won District UIL Team in 2018. 

¨I felt very good with District results,¨ senior Kayla McManus said. ¨I am very excited for our District Championship as well as for my peers. To be completely honest, I am very nervous for Regionals. I am not prepared to say goodbye to everyone. I know I will be a hot mess if I don’t advance [to State]. These people have become my family and I don’t think that there will ever be a good time to say goodbye.¨