Job Fair Assists Juniors, Seniors

Lexi Moreland

Military men assist a student in trying on equipment at the job fair Feb. 28.

Lexi Moreland, Online Editor

Local restaurants and businesses came to the school on Feb. 28 to talk to juniors and seniors about their futures and joining their work program. CTE director Julie Salvato worked with the workforce located on the square in Lampasas to set the event up.

¨This was our first year doing it,¨ Salvato said. ¨We want to continue it next year around the same time.¨

About 25 different businesses and organizations represented themselves at the job fair. 

¨My goal for this was to get students to see the opportunities and help the businesses in need,¨ Salvato said. ¨Lots of students filled out applications and I believe as a result they will be hired.¨

Aretha Williams represents the workforce and Suzzance Sinkey runs the SOAR grant at the workforce. 

¨ The Workforce worked very closely with us,¨ Salvato said. ¨A majority of the contacting was done by the workforce representatives due to them having more contacts in the town.¨

School programs helped out with the job fair during the day. HOSA was picked out to help load and unload businesses and sign students in. Culinary also helped by making meals to feed the organizations. 

¨I think this was a great opportunity for our students to speak to businesses professionally,¨ assistant principal Paul Weinheimer said. ¨I went there and a couple of the organizations said they were proud of how well spoken our students are. I believe the students really showed up for the school.¨